Galveston College Vision, Mission and Goals
Galveston College Vision
“GALVESTON COLLEGE – a beacon of light guiding lifelong learning.”
Galveston College Mission
“GALVESTON COLLEGE, a comprehensive community college dedicated to student success, teaching, and learning, creates accessible learning opportunities to fulfill individual and community needs by providing high-quality educational programs and services.”
Galveston College Purposes
In purposes of Galveston College are defined in the Texas Education Code, Section 130.003, and shall be to provide:
- technical programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates;
- occupational programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations;
- freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences;
- continuing adult education programs for occupational or cultural upgrading;
- compensatory education programs designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students;
- continuing program of counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their individual educational goals;
- workforce development programs designed to meet local and statewide needs;
- adult literacy programs and other basic skills programs for adults; and,
- such other purposes as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or the Galveston College Board of Regents, in the best interest of post-secondary education in Texas.
Galveston College exists to serve these purposes as they relate first to the local service areas, then to the State of Texas, and finally, to the nation. Further, Galveston College accepts the challenge of providing the resources, curricula, instructional support, and personnel required to best serve the many educational needs of its students.
Galveston College Goals
The College District shall:
- provide an open door to learning and extend accessible educational opportunities to students of all ages who are able to benefit from instruction;
- improve student success through high-quality, learning-centered programs and support services that reflect the highest expectations and academic standards;
- continue to provide for a qualified and diverse faculty and staff through fair hiring processes and continuous professional development, as well as a competitive salary and benefits program accompanied by a healthy and safe work environment; and,
- provide equipment, technology resources, facilities, and grounds that create a physical environment conducive to teaching and learning, as well as student success in the 21st Century.
Galveston College Values
The Board of Regents has developed a list of seven values that are an integral part of the College Mission and Vision. The values reinforce the Board’s desire to provide ethical leadership and are used in making decisions undertaken by the college community as the Mission is operationalized. From the development of strategic goals to the simplest actions and decisions taken by college staff, these values will manifest themselves.
- Access – Providing an open door to learning while extending accessible educational opportunities to qualified students of all ages who can profit from instruction.
- Academic Excellence and Student Success – Providing high-quality, learning-centered programs and services that focus on achieving student success and academic excellence while improving student learning outcomes.
- Integrity – Fostering a culture of trust, honesty, openness, and fairness, while upholding high ethical standards.
- Respect – Fostering an environment that seeks to understand and value the importance and contributions of each individual.
- Diversity and Inclusion – Affirming and empowering members of the college community by celebrating diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness.
- Innovation – Creating and developing learning opportunities that support business and industry through innovative teaching-learning methods and strategies.
- Stewardship – Ensuring fiscally sound business practices to provide the resources necessary to foster teaching and learning for today and tomorrow.
Galveston College Philosophy
The faculty, staff, Board of Regents, and administrators at Galveston College are committed to the concept that our College be an open door to learning. With this goal in mind, we extend an educational opportunity to students of all ages who can profit from instruction. Every effort is made to provide equal access to the educational opportunities offered at Galveston College without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
In keeping with this philosophy, Galveston College recognizes and accepts the responsibility for providing curricula for university-bound students, for students seeking career opportunities in a variety of occupations, and for persons of the community seeking cultural enrichment, short-term skill training, or personal improvement opportunities. The College will seek to achieve these goals within the limits of its legal responsibilities and available fiscal resources.
Contact Galveston College