The purpose of the “Emergency Scholarship” is to provide monetary relief to students for unexpected circumstances that may significantly interfere with their ability to attend or complete college. Funds are limited each semester and applications will be evaluated as they are received.
1. Students must be enrolled at Galveston College for a minimum of six (6) credit hours in the fall or spring, three (3) credit hours in the summer for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate offered by the school.
2. Students are required to have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to apply for assistance, with the exception of first-time students and students who are taking only developmental education courses.
3. Students may apply for assistance consideration no more than once per academic year.
4. The maximum award a student may receive per year is $1200. Funds will be prorated based on hours enrolled. Funds may also be reduced based on supporting documentation.
- $1200 - Full-time Enrollment (12+ hours)
- $900 - Three-Quarter-Time Enrollment (9-11hours)
- $600 - Half-Time Enrollment (6-8 hours)
5. Students are not to contact taskforce members directly to discuss the status of their application. Doing so may result in denial of assistance.
Students must complete the following to apply for a Galveston College Emergency Scholarship:
a. Attach a typed detailed letter explaining the nature of the emergency situation and what steps have been taken to resolve it. The letter should include an explanation of how the emergency can be avoided in the future.
b. Attach all supporting documentation (i.e. eviction notice, delinquent utilities, delinquent child care, verifiable auto accident repairs, etc.) related to the request. Documentation must be in the student’s name.
Examples of unacceptable documentation: screenshots, vet bills, credit card bills, past due child support, quotes for auto repairs, tuition and fee statements, program related testing or credentials, bank statements or documentation more than 30 days old.
NOTE: Incomplete requests will not be reviewed by the committee.
The request for emergency assistance will be reviewed and a final decision made by the Emergency Scholarship taskforce. A decision may take up to 5 full business days from the date the student submits their request. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student of the Taskforce’s decision through their Whitecaps email. If an award is made, arrangements for disbursement of funds will be communicated with the notification.
1. Can I apply every semester?
The Galveston College Emergency Scholarship can only be received once an academic year.
(Fall, Spring, Summer 1 or Summer 2).
2. What is the maximum I can apply for?
With the supporting documentation, the maximum amount that can be received is $1200.00.
3. Do I need documentation and a letter?
A detailed letter explaining the emergency situation is required along with the supporting documentation (i.e. delinquent electric bill, delinquent internet, eviction notice, etc.).