Patient Care Tech
Students who are already a CNA, who complete EKG and Phlebotomy, are eligible to take this certification course with NHA.
As a Patient Care Technician/Assistant, you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Provide basic patient care — bathing, feeding, catheter care, etc
- Acquire, distribute and administer patient care supplies
- Perform safety checks and ensure cleanliness in patient rooms
- Accommodate the special needs of patients accordingly
- Obtain EKG readings and monitor vital signs
- Perform phlebotomy procedures
- Provide emotional support to patients and families, particularly coping with grief and death
As the elderly population increases, healthcare facilities, hospitals and nursing homes have a great demand for qualified Patient Care Technicians/Assistants. Since this profession is needed in many practices, you may have a variety of opportunities available to you. Earning your CPCT/A can help you launch a career in the healthcare path you choose.