Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some Frequently Asked Questions from newly admitted students.
How do I log into my Whitecaps Portal?
The Whitecaps Portal can be accessed from any page on the Galveston College Website. It is located at the top of each page. In order to log in you will need a username and password. Your username is GC plus your seven digit student ID number and your initial password is your six digit birthday in MMDDYY format. (See examples below).
Password: 082911 (person born on August 29, 2011)
If you are experiencing issues logging into the Whitecaps Portal or having other technology difficulties please contact the IT help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 409-944-1352.
How do I know if my application is processed?
Do I need to take a placement test?
The State of Texas requires all students to be assessed in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing to determine course placement and eligibility. Some students may be exempt from taking the TSI assessment. Click here to see a list of exemptions. If you do not have an exemption, you will need to take the TSI in order to place you into the correct courses.
How do I know if Galveston College has received my required documents?
Students have access to view received documents via their Whitecaps Portal. Follow the instructions below to view received and missing documents:
- Login into your portal
- Click Self-Service Menu (located on the right-hand side)
- Click Students
- Click Student Communication
- Click My Documents
How do I register online?
Students may register online if they are TSI complete by using the Whitecaps Portal. Detailed instructions for registering online are as follows:
- Log into the Whitecaps Portal.
- Under “Quick links”, please select Register for Classes.
- Select Search and Register for Classes.
- Select a term, enter as many search criteria as you wish, and click Submit.
- To add a class, click the Select Section(s)box next to the section you want to add and click Submit
- Select the appropriate action for each section and click Submit
- Review your registration results and click OK
Registration is not complete until payment arrangements are made.
When are you open?
Fall & Spring Semesters Office Hours
Monday & Tuesday: 8:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m
Wednesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Summer I & II Semesters (May-August) Office Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.