BACTERIAL MENINGITIS INFORMATION
Effective January 1, 2012, all first time and returning students of an institution of higher education will be required to submit proof of the bacterial meningitis vaccination (Texas Education Code 51.9192).
Who is affected?
- All first-time college students
- All students transferring to Galveston College
- All new and returning continuing education (non-credit) students enrolled in a program with more than 360 contact hours
- Students who have previously attended Galveston College prior to January 1, 2012 and experienced a break in enrollment for at least one fall or spring term and are seeking readmission
Who is exempt?
- Any student over the age of 22.
- Any student continuously enrolled at Galveston College (Summer sessions excluded).
- Any student only enrolled in on-line courses.
- Any student who is enrolled in continuing education courses/programs with less than 360 contact hours.
- Any student who submits a notarized affidavit stating that the student declines the vaccination for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief.
- Any student who submits a signed affidavit or certificate from a physician that states the vaccination would be injurious to the health of the student.
How to Provide Evidence of Vaccination
- Submit a signed official notification from your physician indicating the month, day and year the vaccination was administered.
- Submit an official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority.
- Submit the affidavit for Reasons of Conscience.
- Evidence of the vaccination must be dated during the five years before and at least 10 days before the first day of classes for the semester.
- Please contact the Office of Admissions if you are enrolled in on-line courses only.
- Failure to submit the required documentation will result in the student being dropped from all classes.
Documents must be submitted by fax, mail or in person to:
Office of Admissions
4015 Avenue Q
Galveston, Texas 77550
Fax: (409) 944-1501
*REMINDER – Evidence of the vaccination MUST be submitted to the Office of Admissions at least 10 days prior to the first day of classes.
Texas Department of Health Services Affidavit for Reasons of Conscience