Developmental Literacy: Integrated Reading and Writing
These are combined lecture/lab, performance-based courses designed to develop students' critical reading and writing skills. The focus of these courses will be on applying critical reading skills for organizing, analyzing, and retaining material and developing multimodal texts appropriate to audience, purpose, and situation. The courses integrates preparation in intermediate academic reading skills with intermediate skills in composing a variety of texts. These courses require lab time for all students.
Integrated Reading and Writing (INRW) courses are offered at three levels: INRW 0301, INRW 0302, and INRW 0303. Placement in these courses is determined by TSI Assessment (see the Resources and Information page in the menu on the left for more details). At the conclusion of the courses, students will be able to:
- Compose a variety of multimodal words that demonstrate clear focus, the logical development of ideas in a well-organized paragraph and essay formats, and the use of appropriate language that advances the author's purpose.
- Locate explicit textual information, draw complex inferences, and analyze and evaluate the information within.
- Describe, analyze, and evaluate information across literary, expository, and persuasive readings.
- Explain how literary and other texts evoke personal experience and reveal character in narrative and expository texts.
- Edit and submit multiple drafts that reflect judicious use of self, peer, and instructor assessment.
- Identify and evaluate source documentation.
- Present information in digital media using presentation software and hardware.
DISTANCE LEARNING: INTERNET AND HYBRID COURSES
Most college courses meet in person for three hours per week. However, several Galveston College developmental courses are offered either 100% online or meet once per week as a hybrid course. Hybrid courses allow for personal contact with an instructor, with the added benefit of study materials and interaction available via email, live chat, and discussion board postings. Be sure to check the most current course schedule for current distance learning options.
Department Faculty Pages
PROGRAM COORDINATOR OF DEVELOPMENTAL LITERACY
Phillip Presswood, M.A.
Developmental Education Department
4015 Avenue Q, N-316
Galveston, TX 77550
- Content Author cmoore