The primary goal of the Purchasing Department is to centralize the purchasing function to comply with state laws and board policies in securing goods and services from outside vendors, and purchasing the best product for the best value. This shall be done in a manner that is ethical, impartial, open, fair, and honest.
The Purchasing Office will review all purchase requests for compliance with applicable laws, regulations, codes and ordinances, and GC policies and procedures.
The responsibility and authority for purchasing goods and services, and for determining the proper methods of procurement is vested in the Purchasing Coordinator.
No purchase of goods and services shall be binding on the College until a written contract or purchase order is entered into by Galveston College and administration by the Purchasing Department.
General Purchase Order Procedures
All purchases require a Purchase Order. An approved requisition may not be used as a purchase order.
- All requisitions must be approved by the appropriate offices.
- Purchase Orders must be time-stamped and logged in at the Bursar’s Office.
- Once approved by the Director of Accounting and Purchasing, a PO will be issued.
- Copies of the PO will be distributed as follows:
- Original and Quote – Vendor will receive these items either by email or fax.
- Copy of the Purchase Order – Requester will receive these times by either email or through campus mail.
- Copy of Purchase Order and Quote – Accounts Payable
- The Purchase Order may not be changed, substituted, or altered once it has been issued.
- Purchases of at least $500 or less require one (1) quote.
- Purchases exceeding $500, but less than or equal to $5,000, require three (3) written, faxed, or verbal quotes. Where possible, at least one shall be a HUB (Historically Underutilized Business) vendor. Documentation must be attached to Purchase Requisition.
- Purchases of at least $5,000, but less than or equal to $49,999 require at least three (3) written or faxed quotes from any vendor. Submit documentation with Purchase Requisition.
- Anything exceeding $50,000 requires formal bids by the Purchasing Department. All purchases over $50,000 require Board approval.
- Exceptions to the Purchasing Procedures:
- State Contract Purchases
- Current Contracts
- Cooperative Contracts Purchases
During the regular semesters (Fall and Spring), purchase requisitions and purchase orders received in the Bursar’s Office before 5 p.m. Monday will be released Wednesday. Documents received Wednesday before 5 p.m. will be released Friday. Check requests and purchase orders are released once a week during the Summer semesters.
- Content Author mmedina