International Students



Thank you for considering Galveston College to pursue your education.  To be considered for admission, international students must submit the following documentation:

  1. Completed Application for Admission and Residency Questionnaire
  2. $200 nonrefundable application fee (effective for Spring 2014 applicants)
  3. Signed Statement of Understanding
  4. Signed Permission to Release Information, if necessary

Back to Top


An Affidavit of Support is required indicating that a sponsor will be responsible for all of your educational and living expenses.

 Supporting documents must include:

  1. A bank letter indicating the current balance in US dollars, average balance, and length of time the account has been active.
  2. A letter in English from the sponsor’s employer indicating the following: length of employment, position title, and annual salary in US dollars.

Note: Students who are self-supporting must provide proof of account information of at least $21,000 US dollars to qualify as self-sufficient.

*All supporting documents must be dated at least six (6) months before the semester in which the student plans to enroll.


All students must provide results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. 

Minimum score requirement:

Written Exam    500
Computerized Exam   173
Internet Exam     61
English Language Center   109

Exemptions for the TOEFL exam are available if your native language is English.  The exempt countries are: Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, Bermuda, the British Isles, Cameroon, English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Cayman Islands, the Fiji Islands, Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia, Malta, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, the Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tobago, Trinidad, United Kingdom, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Zambia and Zimbabwe. 

Students should visit the TOEFL website for specific information pertaining to exam registration, exam dates, and score reporting at www.ets.org/toefl.  The school code for Galveston College is 6255.


All official transcripts from secondary schools attended, including scores, mark sheets, and date of graduation are required if the student has not received at least an Associate’s Degree.

All transcripts for academic courses completed outside of the US must be evaluated by a foreign credential agency.  The official course-by-course evaluation must be sent directly from the agency to Galveston College.

Recommended agencies:

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.                       www.gceus.com

World Education Services, Inc.                          www.wes.org

NOTE: For countries that do not re-issue official transcripts, the original is required to be submitted in person.  Copies of originals will not be accepted unless they are certified copies. 

Back to Top



Medical insurance coverage is required throughout enrollment for all F-1 students.  Insurance coverage should be at minimum $50,000 health coverage and at least $5,000 in repatriation coverage. Insurance coverage is required after arrival and upon registration.

If you are already insured, please provide proof of coverage when you arrive and at the time of registration.

Back to Top


Additional documents are required for F-1 transfer students.  If you are transferring from a US college or university, please submit the following:

  1. The International Student Advisor report
  2. A copy of your current I-20, Passport, and I-94 card

International students who are on F-1 visas and have not been enrolled at the college or university that issued the I-20 may not transfer to Galveston College until they enroll at their home institution for at least one semester as a full time student.

Back to Top



Visa Information

For information about foreign Student Visa, please visit these websites:
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html or

Employment under F-1 Student Status

Since you are in the U.S. with the principle purpose of pursuing a full course of study or program, your employment options are very limited. Before engaging in any type of employment (paid or non-paid, on campus, or off campus) you must first check with the International Student Advisor. For more information please read the following document: 

Employment under F-1 Status.


All student applicants must have a SEVIS-generated I-20 issued by an educational institution and approved by the Department of Homeland Security. This document must be submitted when applying for a student visa. The consular officer will need to verify the student's I-20 record electronically through the SEVIS system in order to process the student visa application. Unless otherwise exempt, participants whose SEVIS I-20 was issued on or after September 1, 2004 must pay a SEVIS I-901 Fee to the Department of Homeland Security for each individual program. The fee may be paid either through a special website, via Western Union, or by mail. See SEVIS-901 Fee or SEVIS for further information on how to pay the fee.

Back to Top


Rebecca Roark

Email: rroark@gc.edu
Phone: (409) 944-1227
Fax:      (409) 944-1501

Back to Top

Updated 10/18/2013 - Content Author tbranum