Financial Aid Process 2015-2016
Although financial aid can be completed at any time during an academic year, Galveston College's PRIORITY DEADLINE for Fall 2015 is June 9, 2015, for Spring 2016 is November 11, 2015 and for Summer 2016 is March 31, 2016.
ALL documents must be submitted to the financial aid office to ensure that financial aid file is reviewed in time for the payment due date.
Before you Apply
To be eligible for Financial Aid you must:
- have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Certificate
- be a U. S. Citizen, or and eligible non-citizen
- be pursuing a degree or certificate program
- have a valid social security number
- be registered with the Selective Service, if required
- maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Once you have determined that ALL of the above criteria apply to you, you may begin the process of applying for financial aid. You must reapply for financial aid every academic year you plan to attend.
All new and returning students must have a current admissions application on file with the Admissions Office. New students must have their final official high school transcript or GED on file. Transfer students must have ALL OFFICIAL transcripts from any and all institutions of higher education on file with the Admissions Office.
Apply for a PIN number at www.pin.ed.gov. The PIN application is for students and/or parents who need to electronically sign the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may also use the PIN to electronically sign Master Promissory Notes for federal loans.
To complete the FAFSA, students (and parents, if applicable) will need to have filed their 2014 tax return with the Internal Revenue Service. If you are not required to file, please continue to step 4. Please refer to the IRS Publication 501 for tax filing requirements.
Complete the FAFSA via the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after completing 2014 tax returns. Make sure that you place Galveston College on your list of schools to receive your FAFSA. You may list up to 10 schools on your FAFSA. Galveston College's federal school code is 004972. Process time for the application takes approximately 2 weeks. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), via email, to review and make any necessary corrections. Utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is HIGHLY recommended.
STEP 5- Review Your Student Aid Report (SAR)
If your SAR states that you have been selected for verification, submit the appropriate verification sheet (Dependent or Independent) along with a signed copy of your and/or spouse's (if independent) 2014 federal tax return transcript from the IRS. If dependent, you must submit a signed copy of your parent(s) 2014 federal tax transcript from the IRS. If you (and parent, if applicable) utilized the IRS retrieval when completing your FAFSA, you do not need to submit your IRS transcript.
STEP 6- Additional Requirements
Additional requirements include the submission of ALL official transcripts from previously attended institutions of higher education. These transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions Office. Submit official high school transcripts if graduated within the last 2 years or you have never previously attended an institute of higher education.
Make sure that all documents submitted to the Financial Aid Office are signed and complete. Files cannot be reviewed until all documents are turned in to our office. Once files are reviewed the student will be contacted by mail.
**Note: The Galveston College Financial Aid Office recommends that you maintain an updated mailing address and telephone number with the Admissions Office. All correspondence will be mailed to this address.
Loan requests must be made at one of the mandatory Entrance Loan Counseling sessions given before each semester. A student new or returning must complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session once per an academic year. Dates are posted in the Financial Aid Office or you may click here.
Common reasons that financial aid has not been disbursed to your bill are:
How to Avoid Delays
- Use IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing you FAFSA Application.
- Provide consistent information.
- Read all instructions.
- Use your legal name — not nicknames — and your correct social security number.
- If your parents are divorced, you must use the information for the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If that parent is remarried, you must also include the stepparent's income. Be sure to provide the information requested about your parents.
- Make sure you include #004972 on your list of school codes.
- If you complete the FAFSA electronically, don't forget to sign using your PIN (Personal Identification Number). You (the student) will need a PIN as well as your parent(s). These are two separate PIN numbers.
- Make a copy of your completed FAFSA and all documents submitted to the Financial Aid Office for your records.
- Respond to all requests from the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.
Questions regarding any of the above steps may be sent to email@example.com or you may call 409-944-1235.
- Content Author rcrumedy