News Stories for the Week
Galveston College will host a seminar at 7:00 p.m , November 1, in Room M220, 4015 Avenue Q, for anyone interested in learning about a career in nursing.
Galveston College’s 40th academic year well underway with many accomplishments
As Galveston College continues into its 40th academic year, many new innovations and programs are now in effect. Highlights of several of these key accomplishments and innovations include the following:
- The Board of Regents voted to reduce the tax rate for 2006-2007 to .17 per $100 valuation – down from .1918 last year.
- On-line registration was implemented for the first time during the Fall, 2006 registration.
Galveston College has been awarded reaffirmation for accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Increased coursework and programs are now available to GC students through the Virtual College of Texas (Internet coursework.)
- Galveston College implemented new initiatives to increase student success with the introduction of a mentoring program.
- Galveston College entered into partnerships this year with the City of Galveston, Galveston Chamber of Commerce, and the Galveston Economic Development Partnership to offer training and curriculum to educate and prepare students to “Learn a Living” in Galveston.
- Galveston College has increased partnerships with the University of Houston system, Texas A&M University/Galveston, and UTMB to ensure a seamless transition for GC students to these institutions of higher learning.
- Galveston College has enhanced its partnerships with G.I.S.D. and O’Connell High School to assist high school students in preparing for college with such programs as dual enrollment and contract training.
Galveston College Nursing career program set for Wednesday
Galveston College nursing faculty and staff will provide information about nursing as a career and specifics on how to enroll in its programs during a seminar at 7:00p.m. this Wednesday. Call 409-944-1379 for more information or visit online at http://www.gc.edu/ .
Register now for two Auto Mechanic classes; special Motorcycle classes
An introduction to the basic principles of diesel engines and systems will be offered November 13-December 13 by the Continuing Education Division of Galveston College. The class “Diesel Engine/COMD 4000” will teach students the history of diesel engines and diesel systems and their evolution; demonstrate how diesel engines function, and instruct students on how to diagnose and repair basic systems and engines. “Brake Systems and Steering & Suspension COMD 4000” is the other special class now being offered. Scheduled for November 4-December 9, students will learn the theory of operation and repair for braking systems, steering and suspension, and alignment systems. Diagnosis and service techniques will be taught with the use of components and actual vehicles.
Registration is also underway for motorcycle classes at Galveston College. This course may be of interest to both seasoned riders as well as those learning to ride a motorcycle for the first time. This course is motorcycle training for “public safety” on the road and is sanctioned by the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
For course information, fees, times and registration procedure, call 409-944-1344 or visit online at http://www.gc.edu/
Beacon Square dedication November 8
Set for 3:30p.m. Wednesday, November 8, Galveston College will host dedication ceremonies of its new “front door” – Beacon Square, 39th & Avenue Q. Special guests will include representatives from the U.S. Coast Guard, Mayor, and Galveston City Council. The event is open to the public. A reception will follow the ceremony. For more information, contact Joe Huff at 409-944.1302.